After 40+ years of renting other properties, Camp Cherith purchased the former River Farm Christian Campground in 2008. Our new site is located just an hour northeast of Ottawa, along the Clyde River in Lanark. The campsite consists of over 160 acres of land along both sides of the river, and is equipped with flush toilets and showers, an existing cottage and recreational building, a small golf course, and several trailers currently in service as the Director’s Residence and Health Care Center.
In May 2009 we held several construction work parties in order to build additional facilities for camp for the first summer, including camper cabins, wash houses and outhouses as well as converting the existing recreational facility into a temporary kitchen, as part of Phase I of our construction master plan.
We are currently equipped with:
- Ten camper cabins (five in the boys’ area, five in the girls’ area), each capable of sleeping up to eight campers and two staff. Cabins are very generously sized at 16’x24′ with an additional 8′ covered porch in front!
- An outdoor covered pavilion that serves as a dinning hall and meeting area.
- A wash station at each cabin area, each including three pit toilets and a sink with running water.
- A multipurpose lodge building which serves as a kitchen and office during our summer camp sessions, and can serve as a dining/meeting area for small groups in the off-season.
- A centrally located washhouse equipped with flush toilets, showers, and laundry facilities.
- (During summer camp sessions only) A temporary “marquee” tent which serves as a dining and meeting area, capable of seating 100 around tables or in front of a stage.
- Waterfront with swimming area and storage for kayaks, canoes, paddles and lifejackets.
- A three-season cottage for housing our kitchen staff during the summer and for volunteer lodgings during work weekends in the spring and fall.
- Live-in trailers which serve as the Director’s Lodging and Health Care Center.
Phase I: Purchase the property and develop the minimum infrastructure necessary to run our camp program, using temporary dining facilities. Your generous support is what made this step possible!
Phase II: Continue developing the facilities so we can keep running a great summer camp program for years to come. We plan to upgrade the roads, build a storage building and workshop, and a Picnic Pavilion to serve as a temporary dining area.
Phase III: Build a dining hall and kitchen. The eventual completion of this building will allow us to sustain our existing camp program and provide options for us to expand our ministry. We will also be able offer our site for three-season retreats and rentals — further giving back to the local community!